return to Measurement Pages
- Unit of measure = pounds per week
- Per person is the number of people that are in the Businesses in Residence and regular volunteers
- Industry standards for waste per person/per month were taken from: NYC Mayor's Office on Environmental Coordination (Chapter 14)
Sources of Waste
- our Friday community lunch
- Garbage goes out on Fridays. It is picked up by the City of Detroit Department of Public Services.
- Recycled material (paper, cardboard, styrofoam, glass, metal and plastics) goes to our waste/recycling station just at the edge of the green alley, next to Motor City Brewing Works. It is picked up weekly by Recycle Here.
- Compost goes to 2 locations: Palmer Park, where we mix it with spent brewing grains from Motor City Brewing Works and horse manure; and some to our worms, located in the greenhouse. We compost approximately 5 pounds of food scraps per day, 25 per week.
Waste Measurement Charts
- Total waste for the month of March 2014 is at 67 lbs. for a total of 91 people.
- The waste per person for March 2014 came out to slightly more that 3/4 of a pound.
- This chart compares our waste output with an industry standard for office space of 13 pounds of waste per person per week, or about 56 pounds of waste per person per month. As the number of people in the building has risen throughout the year, our waste numbers have remained surprisingly constant. The hypothetical 'industry standard' red line shows how these numbers might have looked if we were a typical office building growing at the rate we did over the last year.
- In March 2014, we had 91 people in the building and 67 lbs of waste. For 91 people, the industry standard for waste would equate to 5,087 lbs.
- It cost approximately $0.41 per person to cover the cost of waste in the month of March 2014.
Past Waste Measurement Charts
Monthly Waste (in pounds)
Monthly Waste per Person (in pounds)
Monthly Waste Comparison to Industry Standard
Monthly Waste Cost per Person
For more detail, visit our As Built pages, detailing the work in these areas: