- Unit of measure = pounds per week
- Per person is the number of people that are in the Businesses in Residence and regular volunteers
- Industry standards for waste per person/per month were taken from: NYC Mayor's Office on Environmental Coordination (Chapter 14)
Sources of Waste
- our Friday community lunch
- Garbage goes out on Fridays. It is picked up by the City of Detroit Department of Public Services.
- Recycled material (paper, cardboard, styrofoam, glass, metal and plastics) goes to our waste/recycling station just at the edge of the green alley, next to Motor City Brewing Works. It is picked up weekly by Recycle Here.
- Compost goes to 2 locations: Palmer Park, where we mix it with spent brewing grains from Motor City Brewing Works and horse manure; and some to our worms, located in the greenhouse. We compost approximately 5 pounds of food scraps per day, 25 per week.
Waste Measurement Charts
- Total waste for the month of October is at 56 lbs. for a total of 84 people.
- The waste per person for October came out to about 3/4 pound.
- This chart compares our waste output with an industry standard for office space of 13 pounds of waste per person per week, or about 56 pounds of waste per person per month. As the number of people in the building has risen throughout the year, our waste numbers have remained surprisingly constant. The hypothetical 'industry standard' red line shows how these numbers might have looked if we were a typical office building growing at the rate we did over the last year.
- In October 2013, we had 84 people in the building and 56 lbs of waste. For 84 people, the industry standard for waste would equate to 4696 lbs.
Past Waste Measurement Charts
Monthly Waste (in pounds)
Monthly Waste per Person (in pounds)
Monthly Waste Comparison to Industry Standard
Monthly Waste Cost per Person
For more detail, visit our As Built pages, detailing the work in these areas: