return to Sustainability Labs
return to Labs Highlights
return to Current Labs Summary
Trash Tracker Experiment
Goals of Experiment
- No waste - minimize trash; maximize recyclables & compost
Decisions to be made from Experiment
- Purchase packages for remaining waste
- Define interim goals for reduction of trash based on baseline benchmark & trash audits
- Reduced amount of trash over time
- Intent is to only measure trash that is not recycled in any way, then determine plan to reduce the amount over time.
- Experiment is on-going with weekly measurements and annual reports.
- Information from this report may be used in conjunction with information from Trash Audits.
- Weigh non-recycled trash every time taken out of building; lbs of trash
- Record weight on marker board near weighing station
- Transfer recorded weights to online tracking spreadsheet weekly
- Trend for Beta period to establish baseline trash amount
- Develop goals to reduce trash over time from baseline
- Produce Annual Report on results and progress towards goals
- Small marker board
- Online tracking document
- Need to have someone transfer measurements to online tracking document on weekly basis. Add to checklist. - USL will do!
Scheduling & Sequencing
- Begin weighing trash the week of 10/14/2011.
- Trend baseline measurements for fourth quarter of 2011.
- Start reduction plan January 2012.
- Plan / Do / Study / Act / Repeat
- Make sure scale is operational
- Develop record keeping and reporting