Velit semper dolor!!
GG Refrigerator Annual Energy Usage and Control Optimization
Goals of Experiment
- Verify the amount of energy used on an annual basis through measurement.
- Reduce the amount of condensation collecting at the bottom of the fridge.
- Measure the temperature gradient across the interior of the fridge (profile).
Decisions to be made from Experiment
- Determine optimum temperature setpoint and possibly thermocouple location.
- Determine if annual energy usage being reported needs to be adjusted.
- Determine if condensation is normal or if it needs to be further addressed (racks in bottom, desiccant, cleaning schedule, waterproof container area, etc.).
- Reduce the amount of condensate and/or mitigate impact on stored items.
- Reduce amount of temperature stratification in the fridge interior.
- Able to more accurately predict annual cost of running the refrigerator.
- Kill A Watt meter resets itself when unplugged (does not retain data when unplugged).
- Plug in fridge, noting date and time.
- Deploy data loggers.
- Purchase rice.
- Remove any existing condensate in fridge.
- Make controlled openings and place in bottom of fridge.
- Run experiment for two weeks in heating season and two weeks in cooling season.
- Complete documentation, analysis, and report results.
- Measure actual kWh using plug-in meter over time.
- Measure temperature profile in interior.
- Measure condensate developed weighing bag of open rice before and after period of time.
- Kill A Watt meter
- Data Loggers for temperature
- Bag of rice
- Food scale or postal scale to weigh rice
- Mr. No Name
- USL for documentation
Scheduling & Sequencing
- Winter two week period 12/9/2011 to 12/23/2011.
- Summer two week period planned for July or August of 2012.
- Refrigerator Energy Workbook
- Experiment Tracker - summary of all experiments & experiment project management
- Experiment Workbook Template - report template for actual conducting of experiment
- USDA Refrigeration & Food Safety Fact Sheet
- Where did prediction of $4 per year come from? (Tree Hugger Article)
- What is our controller make/model and temperature setpoint and deadband?
- Where was/is the original temperature sensor mounted?
- Plan / Do / Study / Act / Repeat