return to Sustainability Labs
return to Current Labs Summary
Rain Water Usage
Goals of Experiment
- Determine how much water plants in Turf Slabs are taking to maintain.
- Determine what plants take the least amount of water to maintain for water conservation and time efficiency.
- Strive not to use any city water for the Green Garage and Green Alley gardens.
- Develop program, if needed, to make sure cisterns are turned over enough to prevent stagnation.
Decisions to be made from Experiment
- Whether or not to continue recommending to put plants in Turf Slabs as a sustainable strategy instead of just gravel.
- Which plants and how many we keep on a longer term basis in the GG gardens - plant density and garden composition.
- Whether or not we could use more rainwater collection capacity.
- Record observations of harvest and usage.
- Perform analysis of season at end of season and re-evaluate plan for future years if any data is needed.
- Establish city baseline water usage. Roughly calculate how many gallons of city water used for garden season.
- Record how many times/approximate harvest amount for season.
- Re-evaluate how to collect data, what is meaningful to collect, how to use the data.
Scheduling & Sequencing
- Plan / Do / Study / Act / Repeat