Building Materials Reuse - On Site
return to Sustainable Materials Management
What is It?
- The reuse of building materials on site is a process to extend (potentially indefinitely) the period from cradle-to-grave for existing materials in the renovation of a building. Careful methods of deconstruction and repurposing of materials within the building are included in the process.
- Also known as: Repurposing, New Life Reuse, and in some cases Adaptive Reuse and Up-cycling.
Why is it Important?
- Helps to sustain the environment by avoiding landfills.
- Historically preserves the integrity of the building by use of original materials.
- Reduces embodied energy significantly by using materials that are already manufactured and have no need for transportation.
When to Use It?
- When there are any number of materials available for harvest within the space.
- Reuse of any material on site is preferred unless found to be unsafe.
Green Garage Use of On Site Materials
- Reuse 90% of all non-toxic materials on site.
- Recycle 90% of remaining 10% of materials not used on site.
- <1% of materials to enter waste stream.
Strategy and Conceptual Design
|Material||Original Use||Image||Amount||Reuse||Recycle||Projected Waste|
|Gypsum Wall Board||
||Detroit Scrap Metal||0%|
|No known methods||TBD|
(Need process verification. Do they strip and recycle wire coatings?)
The Sustainable Materials Management - Development Story has images that document the Green Garage's processes involving materials.
Peggy edited this page :)